I'm testing Arch Linux but I want to run Windows 7 on my Dell 1318 laptop as the primary operating system. So I look up HowTo information on the Internet. I stumble upon this little howto for Vista. I even found another, very detailed discussion using OpenBSD 4.4. Assuming Vista is the same as Windows 7 is a mistake. I tried to follow the instructions for using the BCDEdit program to the letter. Here are the steps:
Create an entry for GRUB in Windows Vista boot configuration data store using bcdedit.
- Launch a command prompt with administrative privileges (right click on cmd and choose Run as Administrator)
- Copy Linux boot sector on the root of the Windows boot (active) partition, namely the one containing bootmgr. If you don’t know for sure you can use diskpart or diskmgmt.msc to find out which one it is
- Now Create an entry for GRUB
- bcdedit /create /d “GRUB” /application BOOTSECTOR
- Note: bcdedit will return an ID for this entry that we will call {LinuxID} below. You will need to replace {LinuxID} by the returned identifier in this step. An example of {LinuxID} is {81ed7925-47ee-11db-bd26-cbb4e160eb27}
- Specify which device hosts a copy of the Linux boot sector
- bcdedit /set {LinuxID} device boot
- Specify the path to a copy of the Linux boot sector
- bcdedit /set {LinuxID} PATH \linux.bin
- Add Linux entry to the displayed menu at boot time
- bcdedit /displayorder {LinuxID} /addlast
- Let the menu be displayed 10 seconds to allow for OS selection
- bcdedit /timeout 10
I did this over and over expecting different result. The classic definition of an insane person! What I didn't realize is that the Windows boot partition WASN'T (in Linux-ese) /dev/sda2 also known as Drive C:. But that odd little 100Mb partition that had no drive letter which Linux sees as /dev/sda1!
So I gave that little drive a letter using disk manager and copied linux.bin over there. Guess what? It booted first try. Ya live, ya learn (hopefully).
No comments:
Post a Comment